- Director: Neil Marshall
- Based on Book: no
- Cast: Rhona Mitra, Adrian Lester, Bob Hoskins, David O’Hara, Martin Compston, Cal Macaninch, Malcolm McDowell
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor/actress in:
- Rhona Mitra – nothing
- Adrian Lester – Merlin, Day After Tomorrow, Hustle, As You Like It, Hamlet, Born Romantic, Love’s Labour’s Lost,
- Bob Hoskins – Paris je t’aime, Stay, Mrs. Henderson Presents, David Copperfield, Felicia’s Journey, Othello, Rock Follies, Mermaids
- David O’Hara – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I, Hotel Rwanda, Braveheart
- Martin Compston – Red Road, Sweet Sixteen
- Cal Macaninch – Merlin, Downton Abbey, Dear Frankie
- Malcolm McDowell – The Artist, The Book of Eli, In Good Company, Hidalgo, My Life So Far, Star Trek Generations, Bopha!, Voyage of the Damned, O Lucky Man, A Clockwork Orange
- Why bought: Adrian Lester
- Seen: October 11, 2013.
Merlin meets Terminator. That is to say Merlin without Merlin, Arthur, Gwen, Morgana, charm, humor or magic but lots of sword fighting, torches, castles, tunnels and monster type meanies. And Terminator (and maybe Godzilla - I’ve never seen it so I’m just imagining) goes gothic punk heavy metal.
In other words Doomsday is a mishmash.
The story is interesting enough. A viral epidemic kills hundreds of thousands in Glasgow (poor Glasgow – last night in the grim Red Road, and now utter destruction), so all of Scotland is isolated behind a big wall to keep the sickies out of England. But England is in a bad way anyway and when the same virus strikes London thirty years later and the powers-that-be have detected survivors in Scotland they figure there must be a cure so they send…
You get the picture. Most of the film is extremely violent, there is a lot of running and horse galloping (why is it that in movies everybody knows how to just jump on a horse and gallop off?), and a ridiculous amount of car chases. Ho hum.
What in the world is Adrian Lester doing in this movie? Or Bob Hoskins, Malcolm McDowell and all the rest in this decent-to-excellent cast? Maybe it looked good on paper.
They get one star because I like them. The make-up, hairdos, costumes and glass eye were kind of cool so I’ll add another half, and the premise gets a half.
2 * of 5