15 March 2013

Inception


Inception (2010)
  • Director: Christopher Nolan
  • Based on Book: no
  • Cast: Leonardo du Caprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Ken Watanabe, Cillian Murphy, Tom Berenger, Marion Cotillard, Pete Postlewaite, Lucas Haas, Michael Caine
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor/actress in:
    • Leonardo di Caprio: You know
    • Joseph Gordon-Levitt: Third Rock from the Sun, The Dark Knight Rises, The Lookout, Miracle at St. Anna, Brick, 10 Things I Hate About You
    • Ellen Page: Smart People, Juno
    • Tom Hardy: The Dark Knight Rises (oops, that’s the one I haven’t seen yet), Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy, Sweeney Todd
    • Ken Watanaba: Batman Begins
    • Cillian Murphy: The Dark Knight, 28 Days Later
    • Tom Berenger: The Gingerbread Man, Born on the Fourth of July, Platoon, Eddie and the Cruisers
    • Marion Cotillard: Nine, La vie en rose, Public Enemies, A Good Year
    • Pete Postlewaite – Brassed Off, The Constant Gardener, The Shipping News, Romeo and Juliet, The Last Mohican, Hamlet
    • Lucas Haas: The Darwin Awards, Brick, Breakfast of Champions, Witness
    • Michael Caine: you know
  • Why bought: DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, sounded interesting, good reviews
  • Seen: November 17, 2012

Don’t ask me to tell the story of this film. It was confusing from start to finish. The basic story is that this team goes into people’s dreams to steal or implant ideas and they could go to different levels of dreams within dreams and memories and stuff like that.  To put it mildly it took a lot of concentration to figure out if they were in a dream – and whose dream – or in reality.  After awhile it became sort of clear that if there was a lot of running and shooting it was a dream.
    So I’m glad we didn’t watch this on a Friday night after a glass of whiskey.  I needed all – and I mean all – my wits about me to keep up as much as I did, which was mostly. I think.
It was worth the effort.  The concept is interesting, the different layers of consciousness, subconsciousness, memories, emotions – so much is being learned about how the mind works and this movie makes good use of this new knowledge.  It was really interesting. The acting was good – how could it not be with that cast.  I didn’t buy it for Ellen Page’s sake because I didn’t recognize her name but I recognized her. She’s good! As were they all.  I’ve tried to resist DiCaprio for years because I really don’t see him as the heartthrob he was supposed to be but I can’t deny that his acting is always impeccable. And I’ve loved Joseph G-L since Third Rock.
So even if I never really figured out why they were suddenly running around in the snowy Alps (or wherever) skiing and snowmobiling and shooting etc. – and what really happened to the wife? I mean is she dead so her body is somewhere in the real world, buried? Or is she sleeping somewhere, lost, stuck, in her dream? Even if.
This is a movie that must be seen several times I think.  After this viewing:

3* of 5. Next time probably more.

3 comments:

  1. Could not agree more with you about the confusing character of this movie. Didn't find it interesting though since I didnt get the story:). Got mad at the ending cause it didnt reveil anything about the wife. I even doubt that I would understand more even if I watched it several times:). Definetively no movie for me!
    / ur 24 neighbour:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this movie definitely requires multiple visits. I think I've seen it three times but I am not at all sure I get it. The concept is terribly compelling, but Chris Nolan did get a bit carried away with the complexity of the execution.

    I didn't get the snowy Alps either (nor the ending, for that matter), but I think I got the wife's predicament. Apparently she did what we all do while watching this movie: she lost the ability to tell reality from dream. So she killed herself in the real life, thinking it was a dream and when she "died" in it she would merely wake in the real world. Of course in the real world jumping out of windows leads to somewhat different results.

    So Leo's only chance to see her again was inside his own dreams, and he seemed to find the temptation very hard to resist. So he spends years and years and YEARS there, building a multitude of skyscrapers that puts to shame New York, Hong Kong and Dubai taken together. That's why he told her, in that moving scene towards the end, that he could never recreate all of her (im)perfection. Because what he met in his dreams was just a figment of his imagination, not the real thing.

    Uh, now it's become even more confused. Weird stuff all right. Must see it for a fourth time - or four times more perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know what you figure out the 4th time...

    ReplyDelete