Donnie Brasco 1997
- Director: Mike Newell
- Based on book: by Joseph D. Pistone
- Cast: Johnny Depp, Al Pacino, Michael Madsen, Bruno Kirby, Anne Heche
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor/actress in:
- Johnny Depp – Nightmare on Elm Street, Platoon, Slow Burn, Cry-Baby, Edward Scissorhands, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, Arizona Dream, Benny and Joon, Ed Wood, Don Juan DeMarco, Dead Man, Nick of Time, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Ninth Gate, The Astronaut’s Wife, Sleepy Hollow, The Man Who Cried, Chocolat, Blow, From Hell, Lost in La Mancha, Pirates of the Caribbean (all four of them), Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Secret Window, Finding Neverland, Libertine, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sweeney Todd, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, Public Enemies, Alice in Wonderland, The Tourist
- Al Pacino – 88 Minutes, The Merchant of Venice, Looking for Richard, Angels in America, Insomnia, The Devil’s Advocate, City Hall, Heat, Carlito’s Way, The Scent of a Woman, Glengarry Glen Ross, Frankie and Johnny, Sea of Love, Author Author, And Justice for All, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, Panic in Needle Park
- Michael Madsen - Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill 1 & 2, Thelma and Louise, Mulholland Falls, The Doors, Racing with the Moon
- Bruno Kirby – A Slipping Down Life, The Basketball Diaries, When Harry Met Sally, Good Morning Vietnam, This Is Spinal Tap
- Why? Johnny Depp. Thirteenth movie of JD marathon.
- Seen: Three times. Now: December 15, 2013.
Al Pacino is a pathetic, scared, big mouth mafia small fry. Johnny Depp is an undercover cop trying to juggle the dangerous double life of apprentice Mafioso and suburban husband and father.
We expect the best from these two actors. We get even better than that. Their performance is nothing less than phenomenal.
Lefty (Pacino) wants out. It’s a lousy life, he’s unappreciated, passed over. He has cancer and a drug addict son and a lovely girlfriend he’d like to just be with. Donnie (JD) wants out. He can’t help liking Lefty and feels guilty about the old man’s loving loyalty to him but he has to keep setting him up in the operation. He finds himself turning into the kind of violent brutal criminal he’s trying to put in prison. And he’s losing his family in the process.
It’s a very sad film.
There are only two things wrong with it. It’s too long. And it’s a mafia movie. I don’t like mafia movies.
4 * of 5