Enemy Mine 1985
- Director: Wolfgang Petersen
- Based on short story by Barry Longyear
- Cast: Dennis Quaid, Louis Gosset Jr
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- Dennis Quaid – Smart People, American Dreamz, Day After Tomorrow, Far from Heaven, Postcards from the Edge, Great Balls of Fire, Caveman
- Why? Sounded interesting
- Seen: 13 January 2017
Humans battle Draks (male and female in the same body) in space over resources. Human bomber pilot Willis crash lands on a planet and finds there a Drak. Wills stalks the Drak with intent to kill but the Drak outsmarts him. Willis is stupid, arrogant, irritating and racist. The Drak is smart, funny and more human than the human.
A spoof? A comedy? A parody? An adventure story? A social commentary?
The planet is hostile. They have to cooperate to survive and take turns saving each other’s lives, while arguing violently over who started the war and whose fault everything is.
It turns out that the Drak is pregnant.
What a strange movie. At moments it has the feel of a 50’s musical (not one of the good ones). At times it’s an anti-racist fable. It’s full of pathetic clichés, badly written lines and bad acting. It has some interesting ideas and takes a few unexpected turns.
From 0 * at the beginning it seems to have crawled up a bit but it’s far too long and it ends with one of those stupid fist fights that directors can’t seem to resist.
1 ½ * of 5